Choosing the perfect web hosting for your website needs may not be an easy process, especially when you don't understand the difference between different hosting packages and your project's requirements.
However, this is a fundamental decision that must be taken in an informed and thoughtful way, as it influences a large part of future decisions and the success of your project.
In this guide, we will provide you with all kinds of information that you should take into account when choosing web hosting for your website, in order to make an informed choice that will meet your needs.
What is Web Hosting?
Hosting a website (or web) in simple terms is the act of placing your website on a server so that it is accessible on the Internet.
In other words, web hosting is done by a server that stores and makes available to the public all the information and contents of the website, such as text, images and videos.
In general, all accommodations run on a 24/7/365 basis, that is, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year, although this is not a requirement.
It is important not to confuse the accommodation how domain, since they are different concepts.
The domain's function is to point to the server where your website is hosted.
Therefore, in order to make your content available on the Internet, you need both a domain like web hosting.
The Various Types of Web Hosting
Although, theoretically, you can host your website from home (with huge technical requirements), there are numerous advantages to trusting dedicated companies to carry out this hosting for you.
However, you need to have some theoretical and practical knowledge about the different types of web hosting that these companies provide, in order to choose the solution that is most beneficial to you, especially from a cost/quality perspective.
Usually web hosting companies, such as the Be-Wide Online SolutionsThey offer various types of accommodation, and each type will often depend on the type of website that the client will stay.
We will cover each of the different types of accommodation in greater detail, offering recommendations to identify the best solution for you.
The 4 Types of Web Hosting to Consider
As a rule, we find 3 types of web hosting in the vast majority of providers: partitioned, VPS and dedicated. However, in recent times we have seen accommodation cloud to appear as another option for customers.
Don't be scared off by their names, we'll talk about each one in a (relatively) simple way.
1. Shared Hosting
As the name implies, this type of web hosting is shared between several clients.
It usually consists of servers, where hundreds of other sites from other clients are added. Multiple clients share the same server resources with each other.
The great advantage of this type of accommodation is that it is as cheap as possible, and a good option for simple websites with just basic information about the project, or just starting out.
The advantages of Shared Accommodation:
- Price is as low as possible;
- Quick to install and prepare for the end customer;
- It does not require much technical knowledge of the customer.
The Disadvantages of Shared Accommodation
- The same server is shared by hundreds of customers sharing the same IP;
- E-mails that are sent from the server may be flagged as spam and not get to the final destination;
- If the site receives a lot of traffic, you can stop working.
2. VPS (or Virtual) Hosting
With this type of web hosting, the same server can still be used by several clients, but it is already divided in order to reserve a certain amount for each website hosted on the server.
The idea of a VPS (“Virtual Private Server”) Is to imitate a dedicated server where particular site has the same features at any time.
This type of accommodation is better than shared, especially if the site already has some traffic. There are several packages with certain amounts of resources, the more resources the better the VPS in theory.
The Advantages of VPS Hosting
- Price can be medium-high, it depends on the amount of subscribed of the VPS package features;
- The hosting environment is separate from other sites on the same server;
- The accommodation is more stable and less prone to crashing.
The Disadvantages of VPS Hosting
- Much more expensive than shared hosting;
- More complex to install and maintain, especially if the service provider does not provide support;
- Usually the same IP continues to be shared by multiple VPS on the server.
3. Dedicated Servers
This is the most expensive option of all, but if your website receives a considerable amount of traffic, using a dedicated server is probably the best option for you and your project.
With this web hosting option, the server is full “leased” and has full control over the machine and all its resources.
This type of accommodation is more complex but it is what brings the best results when it comes to velocity and performance of your website.
The Advantages of Dedicated Servers
- Accommodation faster and more efficient;
- The machine and its resources are not shared between multiple clients;
- Customization of the machine depending on customer needs.
The Disadvantages of Dedicated Servers
- Housing cost is very high;
- Complexity in installation and maintenance is very high;
- The customer needs to have good technical knowledge.
4. Accommodation Cloud
Finally, cloud hosting is a relatively recent term (it has been around for some time, but for the purposes of standard web hosting it is recent), and that not all web hosting providers offer.
It is a type of service that is increasingly being made available and used, as it has clear advantages over other types of accommodation.
In the cloud hosting we have several dedicated servers connected in “cloud” which contribute their resources. Theoretically, we can have an infinite amount of machines with infinite resources added to the network, creating a kind of super host computer.
Here we can then create multiple VPS to separate the various customers in this “cloud” resources, and avoid so that only a specific client to use all available resources.
This type of accommodation, although very similar to VPS hosting, you have some critical differences. First usual obtain best results of speed and performance in relation to VPS accommodation, secondly, it is much easier to add more features to the VPS cloud than usual accommodation.
The Advantages of Cloud Hosting
- Price is not much higher than the VPS housing;
- Best results in terms of performance and speed of accommodation;
- It is much easier to add resources to the hosting package;
- Option to pay depending on the resources used in real time.
The Disadvantages of Cloud Hosting
- It is a type of accommodation relatively unknown compared to the other three options;
- If the client does not know what you're doing, this service can get very expensive with the option to pay depending on the resources used;
- Bed cloud is very easily distracted by shared accommodation “cloud”And there sometimes abuse the term for certain hosting services providers.
Our Recommendation on Accommodation to Choose
As we have already mentioned, it is important to contextualize your project and website in order to make the best choice.
More recent projects and without many customers or visits, find in shared hosting a solution perfectly sufficient and capable for their needs.
Over time, the next step would be to move to a VPS hosting, however, nowadays cloud hosting can be a better option, if chosen and worked out correctly.
We only recommend choosing dedicated servers in cases where the client has some kind of technical knowledge, and the project requirements so require.
Anyway, the Be-Wide Online Solutions has the purchase and service Management domains and accommodation available to its customers, whose main advantage is the personalization and monitoring of its service according to the customer's needs.
We simplify the process for our customers, we always choose what best suits their needs, in order to spend only the money necessary for them.
Enter in contact us to find out what kind of accommodation is right for you.